I have been tweaking a strawberry cupcake and frosting recipe for a while, and finally perfected the exact recipe for one dozen scrumptious little cakes for my daughter’s 3rd Birthday (her special request – completed with adorable Disney Princess cupcake liners). The cupcakes are sweet and light with fresh strawberries mixed in. The frosting is a vanilla buttercream with the secret addition of my fresh strawberry freezer jam. The frosting is perfectly flavoured and the jam turns the frosting the most perfect pink!
My recipe is adapted from the Martha Stewart’s Cupcakes book, because I just never need as many cupcakes as the recipe is written for (like 34!). I typically need one dozen, so that is what I created. This recipe makes one dozen regular sized cupcakes or 24 minis.
- 2/3 cup plus 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons of cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 tablespoons of unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup plus 20ml (1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon) granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup milk (I use 1%)
- 2/3 cup finely diced fresh strawberries
- 9 tablespoons of unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups of icing sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 3 teaspoons of strawberry jam (I use my homemade strawberry freezer jam)
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl whisk together the all-purpose flour, cake flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitter with the paddle attachment cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and the vanilla and mix until combined.
- In two additions add in the flour mixture alternating with the milk. Mix until combined.
- Add in the strawberries, and mix just until incorporated.
- Divide the batter evenly into 12 cupcake liners. I like to use my handy dandy OXO medium cookie scoop. Start with one scoop per cupcake and then go back and add more to each so that you have 12 equal cupcakes.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 15 minutes in the tin, then remove cupcakes from the tin onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Once the cupcakes are completely cooled prepare your frosting. Combine butter, sugar and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix until completely combined and light and fluffy. Add in the strawberry jam and mix well until the frosting has turned pink.
- Frost your cupcakes with a pastry bag and your favourite icing tip or just load it on with an icing spatula or knife. Top with sprinkles or even a fresh strawberry. Have fun and make it your own delicious creation.