One of our stand-by dinners for my husband and I is steak salad night. I buy a really nice top quality grilling steak, a package of mixed baby greens, and a fresh baguette. The warm thinly sliced steak pairs perfect with the fresh salad dressed with olive oil and balsamic glaze. For us it doesn’t need to be summer, we love enjoying this all year round!
- A top-quality grilling steak (such as Angus Beef Top Sirloin), big enough to serve 2 once cooked and thinly sliced.
- Mixed baby greens (preferably organic)
- Grape tomatoes (optional)
- Parmesan cheese, for coarsely grating over the salad
- Balsamic Glaze
- Extra-virgin Olive Oil
- Coarse (Kosher) Salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- A fresh baguette
- Pre-heat a heavy skillet to medium-high and season your steak with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Grill the steak in the pan to your preferred doneness (usually there are grilling time guidlelines on the package). I aim for medium.
- Let the steak rest for 10 minutes on a plate before slicing.
- While the steak rests, prepare the salad. Heap two large handfuls of greens into a large bowl (enough for 2 salads). Drizzle some olive oil on the greens (1-2 teaspoons), along with a squirt of balsamic glaze. Add a sprinkle of coarse salt and a few grinds of pepper, and combine the salad well. Mound a portion of salad on each of 2 plates.
- Once the 10 minutes has passed, thinly slice the steak and arrange on the salad. Top with some grape tomatoes if you desire.
- Top the salad with an extra drizzle of balsamic glaze, and coarsely grated Parmesan cheese.
- Enjoy your salad with some baguette and perhaps a lovely glass of wine! Enjoy!