This delicious chili recipe is one of our favourite cold weather meals through the fall and winter. My husband Andrew loves chili and I like trying to keep it healthy while keeping him happy. This combination of extra-lean turkey, three types of beans, and a blend of spices that gives the chili a kick is so tasty and fills you up with lots of hearty “good stuff”! This recipe has two big thumbs up from Andrew!
- 1 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 package of extra-lean minced turkey (approximately a 0.500kg package)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Spice mix #1 to add while browning the meat: 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt, 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper, 1/4 teaspoon paprika, 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 large yellow onion, diced small (approx. 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 large green pepper, diced small (approx. 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 cans (540 ml each) Aylmer Accents Chili Seasonings Diced Stewed Tomatoes (I really like this product for my chili, burritos, tacos, etc.)
- 1 can (540 ml) red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (540 ml) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (398 ml) brown beans in tomato sauce
- 1 can (284 ml) mushrooms (pieces and stems), drained
- 1 can (156 ml) tomato paste
- Spice mix #2 to add into the chili: 1 tablespoon chili powder, 1 tablespoon cumin, 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons tabasco sauce
- 1/2 cup of water
- Get your slowcooker out and ready to fill with chili!
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan to medium-high.
- Add the turkey with the minced garlic and spice mix #1 to the pan and cook the turkey until well browned. When finished add meat to the slow-cooker.
- Add onions and peppers into the slow-cooker.
- Add the diced tomatoes to the slow-cooker, then use a 1/4 cup of water in each can to rinse out all of the yummy spiced tomato sauce and add it into the slow-cooker.
- Add the kidney beans, black beans, brown beans, tomato paste and mushrooms.
- Add spice mix #2 to the chili, along with the tabasco sauce and 1/2 cup of water.
- Using a large spoon combine all of the ingredients well in the slow cooker.
- Close the lid and set the slow-cooker to cook on low for 5 hours.
- Note: if you are home as opposed to out you can give the chili a stir a few times.
- Serve the chili with your favourite toppings such as grated cheddar cheese, sour cream, green onions, and tortilla chips!