For my recipe I use boneless skinless chicken breasts, yellow and orange peppers, onion and my own spice blend which I prefer rather than packaged seasoning mixes (it tastes so much better!). I grill all the ingredients up in a nice large heavy frying pan and then fill flour tortillas with the colourful fajita mixture and toppings of sour cream, salsa, lettuce and grated cheddar cheese. Yummy!
For the spice blend:
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp paprika
For the Fajitas:
- 1 tablespoon of canola oil
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced in to fajita sized pieces
- 1 large yellow pepper, halved lengthwise and sliced into long thin pieces
- 1 large orange pepper, halved lengthwise and sliced into long thin pieces
- 1 large yellow onion, halved from top to bottom and thinly sliced across
- 1 package of 10 Medium Flour Tortillas
- Toppings: lettuce, salsa, sour cream and grated cheddar cheese
- Combine all of the spice blend ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat canola oil in a large frying pan on Med-High Heat. When the pan is hot add the chicken and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of the spice blend coating the chicken evenly. Saute the meat with seasoning until cooked through (about 5-8 minutes).
- When chicken has no more pink showing, add the sliced peppers and onion, and the remaining spice blend, coating the entire mixture of chicken, peppers and onion evenly. Turn heat down to medium and cook mixture stirring occasionally until vegetables are cooked through (about 10-15 minutes).
- Serve on flour tortillas, with your choice of toppings. We enjoy ours with lettuce, sour cream, salsa and grated cheddar cheese. Makes 10 medium sized fajitas.